Whether you are meeting a new person for the first time at a dinner party or you've been friends with someone for years, there is always the opportunity to get to know people a little better. Get friends and acquaintances to open up a little part of themselves in a light-hearted and potentially hilarious way with these fun conversation starters.
Daydreams and Life Goals
It's rather standard practice to ask someone what they do for a living or what they do for fun, but you can really get to the heart of who a person truly is when you uncover their innermost desires, passions, and goals.
- If you no longer needed to sleep at night to function normally, how would you choose to spend all that extra time each day?
- If you could start all over and money were of no concern, what career path would you decide to pursue? Why do you think you'd be good at this job?
- Who was your biggest childhood crush growing up? Have you looked up what they look like or what they've been up to these days, and if so, what do you think of them now?
- You just won $1 million in the lottery and you have to spend it all in just 24 hours. None of your ideas can be even remotely practical. What would this day look like and who would you spend it with?
- Describe your most embarrassing childhood photo. Who took it and where?
Secret Skills and Amazing Abilities
Can you recite all 50 states and their capital cities in alphabetical order? Did Janice from accounting once take first place at an all-state bowling championship? Everyone has a secret talent or skill that may surprise you; you just have to figure out the most creative and possibly hysterical way of asking about it.
- It's the end of the world and they're selecting a very small group of people for the escape pod. How would you plead your case to get on board and avoid utter calamity?
- What secret talent do you have that is both better than what most people can do but also completely useless and impractical?
- On which competition television show do you think you would be the most successful: American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance or Last Comic Standing? Prove it.
- You've been recruited as the newest member of the X-Men. What are your mutant superpower and superhero alias?
- Smart, funny and good looking. If you could only pick two, which two would you pick?
Danger Is My Middle Name
Austin Powers once said that he too likes to live dangerously, but you don't have to be an international man of mystery to experience thrilling exploits. Just try not to hurt yourself in the process!
- You're in a strange remote village where no one speaks English. One of the locals aggressively thrusts a putrid concoction toward you. Everyone else around you is drinking it, but it smells positively foul and is super strange. What do you do?
- How much money would you need to be offered to skydive naked? What if it were broadcast on national television?
- What band or artist would people be surprised to learn is your guilty pleasure?
- What is the stupidest injury you've ever inflicted on yourself? How did it happen?
- Would you rather have to fight one bear-sized pigeon or a flock of pigeon-sized bears?
Nice to Meet You
Many people can be too shy to divulge their innermost secrets when asked directly, but framing your queries in humorous ways can encourage them to reveal a lot about themselves in an open and honest way. Get ready for some good laughs as you ask someone to explain why a hot dog is or isn't a taco.